Wednesday 6 March 2019

oral skills




B"H

I would like to share with you what I do with my 10th grade students. I teach the weak group and my students are afraid to speak in English, especially in front of the rest of the group. Therefore, I have decided to dedicate between a quarter and a- half of one of our lessons to this purpose:; working on their oral skills. Once a week they have to speak for one-two minutes about the given subject, for example; traditional food, hobbies, friends, etc.
The first few times, some of my students did not speak, they came unprepared and were afraid to speak. However, I am happy to say that I can see them change for the better, and they feel more comfortable than before.
I do not correct their mistakes. We just listen to what they have to say.
In my opinion, it works great, and thanks G-d, I can really see an improvement.
It is important for me to add that I have a very small group (eight students) so I do not know how it would work with larger groups since sometimes it might be boring to hear 20 students speaking on the same topic..

Would like to hear what you think about it,
Chani Neiman


2 comments:

  1. Dear Chani,
    That's a great idea.
    Do you give them the topics in advance to prepare at home or at least think about?
    Thanks,
    Ariela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Chani.
    I really liked your idea to encourage your students to speak. I would suggest you to add some speaking games.
    They will help your students to practice their speaking skills.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete