Wednesday 20 February 2019

Teaching like you like it

Well, this is my third year as a teacher and every day I wonder,
sometimes I'll keep to myself and at times I'll give it voice or write it:
Do I want to be a teacher? The kind that goes to school every morning?
The kind that deals with all the paperwork to keep track of students and
their progress or lack of progress? The kind that walks into classes of
almost 40 students to hear their complaints about their friends, the
homework or even me, yes me?
And then the day begins, I walk from one class to the other, some are
greater than others, looking at their creations and desire for learning
and I say, “Oh well, I can stay for a little longer and then decide”. And to
be honest, it gets better every year.
I noticed one extraordinary thing I lack. My publicity skills. Not like Hollywood
actors and actresses but close.  We can be sort of public figures, in our school
realm, if we play our cards right. Especially us, English teachers.
During the last two weeks, I have been working with my students on creating
English games. I have noticed that when kids work, look for information and
create, they are happy and learning and so am I.

2 comments:

  1. wow! I sympathize fully with your situation.
    Sometimes I ask myself the same questions but always find at least one reason to stay...
    I would like to hear more about the English games..which grade and what kind of games..
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The games were almost a free choice. We brainstormed in class. The topics were written on the board. The rubrics for grading as well. I only band the common topics, those that I couldn’t hear of anymore.

    ReplyDelete