Friday 8 February 2019

Socrative

In order to help me keep track of my students' progress (or lack of it) and reduce my workload, I use Socrative Teacher. Socrative is a website and also an app that enables you to design online quizzes, short surveys and games. I use Socrative to design weekly tasks that my students do as classwork with or without a grade.

I use it to sum up the material that we have studied during that week or review the material before a test. I even use Socrative to check reading comprehension (I photocopy the text and they answer the questions on Socrative).

So what's so great about Socrative? Well, I only” have to” prepare the quiz / task and the minute students finish doing it and I press on the FINISH button, I get the results. That's what is so awesome about Socrative ( I know that there are other apps/tools that do the same, like Google Forms). I do not spend time checking each student's work. It is done automatically. My students also like using Socrative very much and one of the reasons is that they get immediate feedback from me.

So, how do you prepare a Socrative quiz?
1. Sign up on Socrative Teacher.
2. Go to Quizzes and press on "Add Quiz" and then on "CREATE NEW".
3. Give your quiz a title.
4. Start inserting questions. I suggest you only use multiple choice and true/false question types.
5. Type the question and the answers.
6. Once you finish typing a question press SAVE and move to the next question. When you finish typing the whole quiz press on SAVE AND EXIT.
7. To make the quiz available to your students, you have to "launch" it. Choose your delivery method and settings. Your "room" will open and all you have left to do is to invite your students to go to Socrative Student> type their name and the room name... and start working.

2 comments:

  1. Please arrange your publication so I can read

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've fixed it now. It happens sometimes when the content is copy-pasted from Word.
      L

      Delete