Sunday 17 March 2019

The film Green Book - The Story of an Odd-Couple Bromance


The film that I would like to recommend is the Oscar winner for Best Picture this year, "Green Book".
Green Book is based on a true story that happened in America in the 1960s.  The film captures a road trip across America of a rich black pianist by the name of Don Shirley  and his personal driver/bodyguard,  Frank “Tony Lip” Vallelonga, a white man who is a streetwise Italian-American trying to make ends meet.
The film deals with the race issue of Black vs White but with a twist. The privileged one is actually the black guy and not the white guy.  In the film both characters have misconceptions about the other’s culture but they manage to overcome them. Thanks to their unique personalities the two form a wonderful friendship. The actors did an excellent job portraying their characters.
On the one hand, the film is your typical American film full of stereotypes and clichés about the issue of racism. It also reminded me too much of another famous Oscar winning film that I like, Driving Miss Daisy. It felt to me like Green Book is the movie Driving Miss Daisy in reverse.
On the other hand, what I liked about this film is that it is what I call a feel good movie. The film portrays the kindness and tolerance between human beings despite their differences.  The story deals with racism which is not an easy subject in films. Also the characters are complexed but at the same time they were very endearing and at the end of the film I left the theater smiling. 

Thumbs up from me.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Anat, I also liked this film and enjoyed reading what you wrote about it.

    ReplyDelete