Tuesday 26 March 2019



Victoria has asked me to post this on her behalf.


I am an English teacher at Harel Junior High School in Holon. I prepared and taught a lesson
about using idioms in both English and Hebrew. I used several YouTube video presentations
about different types of idioms and their translations into Hebrew. During the lesson I used
YouTube Quizzes as technological tools to achieve better understanding of idioms. The reason
why I used these technological tools was to teach the students higher order thinking skills of
comparing and contrasting, distinguishing different opinions , understanding cause and
effect. The students   showed interest in the lesson. They were really enthusiastic towards
the material and participated well. 
The lesson was successful and the topic was interesting. I 'd like to  incorporate more idioms
during my next lessons.  In addition to that I will also use different websites and
presentations about idioms during the whole year while presenting new words and topics to my students.
Finally, I want to share with you the list of idioms that I used in the lesson.
 1. Practice what you preach.
 2. Practice makes perfect.
.3 It’s raining cats and dogs.
.4 Storm in a teacup.
.5 Food for thought.
.6 Like water off a duck’s back.
.7 Speak your mind.
.8 Break a leg.
.9 To have cold feet.
.10 Earning a living.
.11 A drop in the bucket.
.12 Actions speak louder than words.
.13 Buy a lemon.
.14 Haste makes waste
  15. Hold your horses.
  16 Last but not least.
 17        Let the cat out of the bag.
  18 Got up on the wrong side of bed.
     19 Don’t count your chickens before they hatch. 
  20         You can’t judge a book by its cover.



1 comment:

  1. Dear Victoria
    I did something similar in my school two years ago. I decided to teach the students proverbs and idioms that are related to school and their lives in general. We also put them up on the walls around the classroom for the pupils to see them on a daily basis.That's a great way to introduce idioms in class.
    Here are some of our idioms:
    Strike while the iron is hot
    Cross your fingers
    The pen is mightier than the sword
    Knowledge is power, share it with others
    Keep your cup full
    Make it happen
    Happiness is a choice
    Saved by the bell
    Raining cats and dogs

    ReplyDelete